Saturday, October 24, 2009

I bit off more than I could chew....

Remind me why I actually VOLUNTEER for more work again??? The felting session with my son's class was madness. Most of the kids ended up with a decent felted pumpkins, but time just ran out. I thought it would take two hours and I felted flat out for three and could have gone on another hour. I ended up having to felt the pieces with them 3/4 way done and putting them in a sealed bad and sending home to finish the job with their household washing. I do this to finish my pieces, but I just hope the kids remember to tell their parents when they get home (a lot don't) and the mothers don't open up their schoolbags and find this lump of wet felt and wonder what it is!! If they throw them in the machine they should all turn out fine after a little stretch and hot iron.

It didn't go as well as I thought it would. Luckily I had a lovely girl on work experience helping me. If I am crazy enough to try it again, I will need more help. Also we had to use their desks, which are slanted, and the water tended to run straight for the old carpet on the floor. I would need a flat table....

However, the cupcakes were a hit and there were enough for all the kids and teachers. My camera is on it's last legs though, so I hope Santy wants to bring me a new digital camera for uploading.

I am tired. I was fighting off a bug most of the week and work stress did not help much. I was informed that I don't have enough Irish to continue on my work scheme and wasn't sure if I had a job at all for awhile there. Turns out I WILL have a job, but they are transferring me to a job that does not require Irish. Details to be sorted out, but all going well it will be very interesting.

The rain is running down the windows and the wind galing, so must tidy up the house and get ready to felt. It's an indoor day!

2 comments:

  1. I was drawn to this postr by the false teeth but am still puzzled!
    I don't envy you teaching a class of kids to felt..very ambitious.
    I hope thye don't put their felt in the tumble dryer..I did a batch and thought I'd finish it in there and forgot it and it was all lumpy and shrunk-too-far.
    I envy you living in the west of Ireland. The weather is similar here today!
    Thanks for your comments on my blog.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The teeth are gummi/jelly sweets! If you finish the felting in a quick wash cycle/cool water it turns out fine with a bit of stretching and ironing. I just finished some pieces I felted today that way and they turned out great. Problem is, kids often forget to tell their parents these things and there wasn't time to include a note as they went home on their mid-term break. Since they won't be back until after Halloween, I hope they remember!

    I am a firm believer in Live and Learn: next time (if there is a next time) I will break them up into two groups. I fried some brain cells and my lower back was killing me! Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete