Monday, November 16, 2009

What a week....

I have been run-down lately, fighting off some bug or another. It has made getting organized for craft fairs very hard and I was behind schedule. And then I noticed a lump like a cyst on my neck. Strange, but the kind that just goes away on its own, so no panic. And then the cold that I thought was gone CAME BACK and I was flat out again. And two days later the lump got big and I mean BIG!

I went to the doctor and he said that I was fighting a virus and it was just a lymph node that was enlarged and that it would go away in a week on its own. Great! So I went home. Over the weekend it got bigger and red and hot to the touch. So Monday I went back to the same doctor and he gave me antibiotics and told me it was an abscess. After taking six strong antibiotics and it getting slightly worse, I was worried. I went after hours to another doctor and she said "You aren't going to like this, but you have to go to the hospital right away and get that seen to." Damn.

I organized small boy and myself and got to hospital. The doctor was kind but he collapsed the vein in my right hand trying to put an IV in, which did nothing for my nerves whatsoever. He inserted a needle into the abscess three times (I did not kick, run, or scream) to drain it, but couldn't get anything out. He got me a bed and I settled in on IV antibiotics.

I spent three days in hospital crocheting nervously. The lump was the size of my fist. They finally said that the antibiotics weren't working because the fluid needed to be drained. The infection had graduated to cellulitis. They sprayed something on me to numb the site, but it didn't work and they cut a small hole and drained it. I was shaking so hard I though the bed would start drifting. But in the morning anyone could see that there was good improvement. I was discharged with a scrip for more antibiotics and sent home to small boy who was missing me (and I him).

Soooo, I cancelled the craft fairs as I am just plain exhausted. As much as I was looking forward to it, I was relieved to let it go as I had not got nearly enough finished for sale. It will give me time for the Christmas presents that need to be completed. It's a bit boring, but I don't want this virus back again (I have a sneaking suspicion that its not totally gone yet) at Christmas. It's eating well, sleeping plenty, and keeping stress at a minimum!

2 comments:

  1. You did right to cancel the craft fairs..what a scare. I've had cellulitis on my foot a couple of times and its no fun as you watch the red line progress up your leg, so on your neck it must be terrifying. Look after yoursefl and try to relax and get well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like you have had a dreadful time. Relax, enjoy your fibre are (especially) and enjoy your time with your son!

    ReplyDelete